Saturday, April 23, 2011

It's Just a Name Right?

Have you ever really thought about names and how you associate them with certain types of people or certain people in your life? Perhaps I'm the only one whose weird enough to think about names as much as I have. I've mostly thought about names regarding children. I'm nowhere near the point of having children, but I have thought about what names I would choose.

For the longest time I wanted to have a daughter and name her Lola Rose. Why Lola? I'm not quite sure, I just really liked it. Then someone so kindly pointed out that it sounded like a stripper name. Thanks. Then I thought Ava or Elle, but now those are becoming really popular with the yuppy set. Okay three down. I then had the brilliant idea of naming my future daughter after her paternal grandmother. Her name was quickly shot down by several people in my life because it "sounds too old fashioned." And then there are the names that I could never choose because I would just associate my kid with a horrible memory. For instance, I've never known a sane Marilyn. I'm sure that there are many wonderful Marilyn's out there somewhere, I just haven't had the luck of meeting one. 

What about boy names? That's a whole other can of worms. I love names such as Warren and Phillip and yes, I will admit it Huckleberry. Yes, Huckleberry sounds like a joke, but Mark Twain is one of my favorite authors and I just loved reading about Huckleberry Finn and I love the name. The jury is still out on Warren, but Phillip is a lost cause for me because of one of my least favorite television personalities. All of this name association could really drive a person nuts. I don't know what I'm going to do when I actually do start to have children. 

Maybe that will be my husband's job. He can name the kids. I'll take care of naming the animals. No one's going to care if I name my cat Lola Rose, right? And I can name my great dane Huckleberry. Oh good, I'm so glad it's settled. Now all I have to do is find a man and get married. 

No comments:

Post a Comment