Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Little Gardening Inspiration

Its roots had broken through the bottom of the pot and had started to make their way under the front porch and the foundation. Godzilla, the seven foot tall ficus tree, was really getting on my nerves, so about a week ago I went outside, ripped its roots out of the ground, trimmed it and transferred it into a new pot. Four hours, a few bruises and a sore back later, the sucker was in a new pot and all of the ground where Godzilla had resided, was clear. I felt relieved, but then I realized that the garden in front of the porch needed a complete overhaul. The gardening bug really bit me.

I've done a lot of planning since last weekend. Different themes and plans have been racing through my head and I have finally decided to plant a garden filled with native plants. My inspiration came from the 8th Annual Theodore Payne Foundation Native Plant Garden Tour that I took with my mom this morning. All of the gardens that we visited on this self-guided home garden tour were colorful and full of plant life, but my favorite was a garden that featured a bright yellow flannel brush, a variety of succulents and delicate peach-colored blossoms that looked to be made of tissue paper.

I fell in love with the plants and the overall design as we walked through the front and back yards. Until today I had always thought of native plant gardens as gardens that were filled with cacti or succulents and little color. But I discovered that native gardens can be vibrant and fascinating. Watching the way that bees flitted from one blossom to another and the bugs that walked along the leaves of some of the most beautiful plants I have seen, was fascinating.

Now it's my turn to turn my ideas in to a reality using my new inspiration. I can't wait to see how my garden turns out. And I'm looking forward to sharing it.

*I would love to share the photos that I took, however, I feel that I cannot ethically do so. Photos for personal use were the only photos allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment