Thursday, April 21, 2011

Garden Phase One

Taking walks during lunch breaks, going to the gym regularly, gardening after work. Who is this person? I haven't had this much energy for years. It's absolutely incredible. I feel like getting out and actually doing stuff. And looking forward to working in the garden is something totally new. My front garden has turned into my latest project. My plan is to turn it into a mostly native plant garden. I started a couple of weeks ago by ripping out an old ficus tree and ended up cutting back spider plants, decorating with rocks, planting succulents and finding a new home for the hose. This is what I have done so far.


 After I cleared out the weeds and a lot of the dead plants, I made a place for the pot that now holds the hose. With a little effort the hose decided to cooperate and stay in the pot. Instead of being piled up in a tangled mess on top of the plants, the hose is now tucked away and out of view. When I finished with the hose I was able to figure out where the plants should be placed.

Now I'm no landscaper, but the designing was my favorite part. One of the best features of my new garden, is the design that I created with the rocks. I couldn't believe it when I found them, but the rocks were on sale for less that $2.00 a bag. I bought two, which is more than enough for the entire garden.


With the border complete, I got a little creative and poured the rocks out in two wavy lines. My garden isn't quite finished, but it's getting there. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Now I just have to decide what to do with all of the spider plants and how to make those look pretty. So many ideas. Time to go back to the nursery. I think I need a bigger garden.

1 comment:

  1. i can't wait to see how it turns out either!! :D :D so exciting! wish i had my own garden and the time to work on it.

    ReplyDelete